Work DescriptionPlumbers install pipe for water, gas, sewage, and drainage systems and install bathroom and kitchen fixtures, drinking fountains, and laundry equipment. They cut and thread pipe and assemble and install valves, pipefitting and pipes.
Work is active and sometimes strenuous. Work indoors and outdoors, on a ladder or scaffold, in trenches or in unfinished sections of new buildings. May work in uncomfortable positions or stand for long periods.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Physically capable of performing the trade.
- Recommended high school courses: General Math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mechanical and Architectural Drawing, General Sciences, Shop courses and English.
Terms of Apprenticeship
- Five year program
- 8,000 hours of on-the-job training
- 440 hours of paid related classroom instruction
- 260 hours of non-paid related instruction to include First Aid, Welding, OSHA 10+, etc.
- Must pass State Journeyman Exam to complete the program.
For information please contact:
State of Wisconsin – DWD
Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards
District Representative – Wausau
364 Grand Ave
Wausau, WI 54403
Northcentral Technical College
1000 W. Campus Drive
Wausau WI 54401
- Testing includes reading and math with a required minimum score of 66, and algebra with a required minimum score of 33.
- Test is given in the Testing Center, Room C167.
- Must preregister at least one week in advance.
- Total cost of $20 includes Reading, Math & Algebra testing – to be paid at time of test either by check payable to NTC or exact amount in cash.
- Contact the Testing Center at 715.803.1136 for an appointment.
- The Learning Center can assist you in the algebra, arithmetic and reading portions of the test. Contact the Learning Center at 715.803.1152.
- Programs & Courses