Work DescriptionSheetmetal workers layout, shear, form, fabricate, weld, solder and assemble heating and cooling systems, and exterior building ornamentation. They fabricate, manufacture, and install commercial, industrial and residential appliances and products.
Combination of shop work and construction site work. Use shop fabrication machinery. Outdoor work may require working from ladders and scaffolding.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalency
- Physically capable of performing the trade
- Recommended high school courses: General Math, Shop Math, Algebra, Geometry, Mechanical and Architectural Drawing, General Sciences, Shop Courses, and Computer Courses
Terms of Apprenticeship
- Five year program
- 9,000 hours of on-the-job training
- 500 hours of paid related classroom instruction
- 300 hours of non-paid related instruction to include First Aid, Welding, OSHA 10+, etc.
For information please contact:
State of Wisconsin – DWD
Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards
District Representative – Wausau
364 Grand Ave
Wausau, WI 54403
Northcentral Technical College
1000 W. Campus Drive
Wausau WI 54401
- Testing includes reading and math with a required minimum score of 66, and algebra with a required minimum score of 33.
- Test is given in the Testing Center, Room C167.
- Must preregister at least one week in advance.
- Total cost of $20 includes Reading, Math & Algebra testing – to be paid at time of test either by check payable to NTC or exact amount in cash.
- Contact the Testing Center at 715.803.1136 for an appointment.
- The Learning Center can assist you in the algebra, arithmetic and reading portions of the test. Contact the Learning Center at 715.803.1152.
- Programs & Courses