Work DescriptionSteamfitters assemble, install and maintain pipes to carry water, steam compressed air, gases and fluids needed for processing, manufacturing, heating and cooling. They adapt and repair pipe systems, install appliances, heating and refrigeration units and weld pipes. Steamfitter mechanics trouble-shoot, diagnose and repair components of heating/cooling systems and refrigeration units.
Construction steamfitters work inside and outside, sometimes in adverse weather conditions. The work is active and strenuous requiring walking, standing, climbing, lifting, and working in cramped or high areas. Service steamfitters work indoors in equipment rooms as well as some outdoor repair work. They use test instruments and tools in trouble-shooting and requiring of HVAC systems.
- High school diploma or GED
- Physically capable of performing the trade
- Recommended high school courses: General Math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Mechanical and Architectural Drawing, General Sciences, Shop, Physics, Computer, Welding, and English.
Terms of Apprenticeship
- Five year program
- 8,000 hours of on-the-job training
- 500 hours of paid related classroom instruction
- 260 hours of non-paid related instruction to include First Aid, Welding, OSHA, etc.
For information please contact:
State of Wisconsin – DWD
Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards
District Representative – Wausau
364 Grand Ave
Wausau, WI 54403
Northcentral Technical College
1000 W. Campus Drive
Wausau WI 54401
- Testing includes reading and math with a required minimum score of 66, and algebra with a required minimum score of 33.
- Test is given in the Testing Center, Room C167.
- Must preregister at least one week in advance.
- Total cost of $20 includes Reading, Math & Algebra testing – to be paid at time of test either by check payable to NTC or exact amount in cash.
- Contact the Testing Center at 715.803.1136 for an appointment.
- The Learning Center can assist you in the algebra, arithmetic and reading portions of the test. Contact the Learning Center at 715.803.1152.
- Programs & Courses