This program prepares learners with the necessary skills for the many architectural design career options in the construction industry. Students will gain knowledge in and employ the principles of residential and light commercial design through completion of authentic projects. Energy conservation and sustainability concepts are incorporated throughout the program’s curriculum. Coursework includes introductory and advanced classes in design, presentation, construction technology, surveying, structural analysis, code interpretation, estimating and project management. Students will utilize various software programs including Computer Aided Design (AutoCAD), 3D Computer Modeling (SketchUp), Building Information Modeling (BIM – SoftPlan & Revit), Animation/Simulation and Energy Modeling. Graduates also have the option to pursue a bachelor’s degree in construction management through UW-Stout, UW-Platteville and Michigan Tech University; a bachelor's degree in architecture can also be earned through a transfer agreement with UW-Milwaukee’s School of Architecture & Urban Planning. Potential occupations include: Architectural Designer, Residential Designer, Light Commercial Designer, Kitchen/Bath Designer, CAD Technician, BIM Technician/Specialist, CAD Drafter/Detailer, Estimator, Project/Construction Manager, Architect Assistant, Surveyor Assistant, Sales Associate, Contract Sales, Wholesale Buyer, Building Inspector, Material/System Specifier.
program at a Glance
- Wausau Fully Available
- Antigo General Studies Only
- Medford General Studies Only
- Phillips General Studies Only
- Spencer General Studies Only
- Wittenberg General Studies Only
Approximate Cost$12,128 (Tuition: $9784, Books: $2344)
Average Starting Salary$37,086 According to Economic Modeling Specialists International.
Chat with Us
Do you have a question about program offerings or getting started at NTC? Our staff can guide you in the right direction!
Unsure which offering is best for you?
Northcentral Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s nondiscrimination policies: Equal Opportunity Officer, Northcentral Technical College, 1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401. Phone: 715.803.1057
- Create preliminary documents for single family, multifamily and light commercial construction
- Apply CAD/BIM technology (2D/3D) in the residential and light commercial design industry
- Produce working drawings for single family, multifamily and light commercial construction
- Produce construction specifications for single family, multifamily and light commercial construction
- Apply estimating procedures for single family, multifamily and light commercial construction
- Specify building systems for residential and light commercial use
- Apply common management techniques and legal documents of the building industry
- Employ Soft Skills to accomplish project goals
- Architectural Designer
- Residential Designer
- Light Commercial Designer
- Kitchen/Bath Designer
- CAD Technician
- BIM Technician/Specialist
- CAD Drafter/Detailer
- Project/Construction Manager
- Architect Assistant
- Surveyor Assistant
- Sales Associate
- Contract Sales
- Wholesale Buyer
- Building Inspector
- Material/System Specifier
To view the amount of credits or descriptions for the courses required within this program please view the course list.Course List
Credits earned at NTC may transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Visit www.ntc.edu/transfer for a complete listing of transfer opportunities for this program.
Submit your online application today at www.ntc.edu/apply
For more information on this program, contact admissions at 715.675.3331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re ready to get started, just fill out our online application. If not, request more information and we will be happy to answer any questions you have.