The Residential Building Technical Diploma provides practical, hands-on learning opportunities for students preparing to enter the construction industry. Student responsibilities will include framing to finishing a site built new home. Students will gain knowledge in “whole house” sustainable building practices. Upon completion of the home, a Focus on Energy consultant tests and rates the home for energy efficiency. The curriculum is infused with Focus on Energy standards and guidelines. The program house is built off campus. Students will be responsible for their own transportation to the job site. Potential occupations include: General Contractor, Residential Carpenter, Commercial Carpenter, Cabinet Intaller, Roofing Contractor, Siding Contractor, Window/Door Installer, Finish Carpenter, Hardwood Floor Installer, HVAC Apprentice, entry into the Electrical, Plumbing or Carpenter Apprenticeship programs.
program at a Glance
- Wausau Fully Available
- Antigo General Studies Only
- Medford General Studies Only
- Phillips General Studies Only
- Spencer General Studies Only
- Wittenberg General Studies Only
Approximate Cost$6,378 (Tuition: $5750, Books: $628)
Average Starting Salary$30,631 Annually, based on the 2014 NTC Graduate Employment Report.
Chat with Us
Do you have a question about program offerings or getting started at NTC? Our staff can guide you in the right direction!
Unsure which offering is best for you?
Northcentral Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s nondiscrimination policies: Equal Opportunity Officer, Northcentral Technical College, 1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401. Phone: 715.803.1057
- Demonstrate job skills and knowledge for employment in the construction industry
- Demonstrate the safe and proper use of all tools and equipment used in the construction industry
- Analyze production documents to construct various building components
- Perform structural framing assignments on a stick-built house with limited supervision
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the trades associated with the construction industry
- Perform finish carpentry tasks with limited supervision
- Obtain and OSHA 10-hour Construction Industry Card
- Obtain a State of Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Card
- Behave and communicate in a professional manner
- Work as part of a team to accomplish a common goal
- General Contractor
- Residential Carpenter
- Commercial Carpenter
- Cabinet Installer
- Roofing Contractor
- Siding Contractor
- Window/Door Installer
- Finish Carpenter
- Hardwood Floor Installer
- HVAC Apprentice
- Entry into the Electrical, Plumbing or Carpenter Apprenticeship programs
To view the amount of credits or descriptions for the courses required within this program please view the course list.Course List
Additional program Information
Credits earned at NTC may transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Visit www.ntc.edu/transfer for a complete listing of transfer opportunities for this program.
Submit your online application today at www.ntc.edu/apply
For more information on this program, contact admissions at 715.675.3331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re ready to get started, just fill out our online application. If not, request more information and we will be happy to answer any questions you have.