Since its inception in 2015, International Yoga Day is celebrated annually on June 21 to mark the importance of physical, mental and spiritual practice. According to nationaltoday.com, there are over 100 styles of yoga and about 36 million Americans (10% of the population) who claim to do yoga regularly. Some individuals use yoga as a religious practice while others adopt it for its wellness benefits, including:
- Build strength and flexibility
- Improve body tone
- Practice relaxation
- Improve respiration
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Unify mind-body, thought-action
- Discover a sense of oneself, the world and nature
Join in the International Yoga Day celebration by trying a local class or following along with video instruction. Here are a couple free resources to help you get started:
- Yoga with Adriene – Browse through her selection of free yoga videos including individual sessions or month-long practices. Perhaps start with her 20-minute Yoga for Complete Beginners. She also offers a monthly calendar.
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – The young (and young at heart) will enjoy these free yoga videos featuring easy-to-follow instruction. Check out the Yoga Adventures series for movement woven into stories featuring your favorite cartoon, book and game characters!
- Do Yoga With Me – Navigate to their practice and then classes to search all available video options. There’s a button in the upper right corner where you can request to include “free only” and still receive 100s of options. Sort by difficulty, length, style, focus and/or teacher. In fact, nearly half of their content is completely free - no registration required.
And if you’re thinking you can’t do yoga, consider this wisdom from T.K.V. Desikachar, “Anybody can breathe, therefore anybody can practice yoga.”