Frequently Asked Questions
- General Questions
- Academics + Student Support Questions
- Prospective Student Questions
- Event, Meeting + Conference Questions
Is NTC Closed?
Our faculty + staff have transitioned to a completely virtual environment and we are committed to maintaining the high quality service and support that you know and expect. Our physical campus locations District-wide are closed to students, non-essential staff and the public.
We anticipate that all campuses will physically reopen for business on Monday, April 27th a 6:00 a.m. though that may be subject to change as this situation continues to unfold.
Is the NTC Dental Clinic open?
The NTC Dental Clinic is closed and anticipates reopening on Monday, April 27th with new health screening requirements.
Academic + Student Support Questions
- How long will classes be online only?
- How can I get academic support through this transition?
- Will the semester be extended?
- Is the IT Help Desk still available?
- Are there counseling resources available to students in need?
- What is the plan for commencement?
- What if I don’t have internet/Wi-Fi capability?
- Where can I get help with advising?
- Can I still enroll in summer and fall classes?
- Are there print services available to students?
- How can I access my transcripts?
How long will classes be online only?
Spring Break for students has been extended through April 3rd. There will be no classes (face-to-face and online) or labs during that time although students may still access their coursework online.
All learning for all students will resume on Monday, April 6th in an online format. Faculty will post additional information in Canvas on how this will look as it may vary by course.
How can I get academic support through this transition?
The Academic Resource Center (ARC) provides academic support that is specifically designed to assist students who are currently enrolled in a class or area of study at NTC. The ARC is continuing to provide tutoring & coaching services via Blackboard Collaborate. Students can receive assistance by creating a virtual appointment in Starfish or by emailing ARC@ntc.edu.
You are also encouraged to reach out to your faculty directly with any questions or concerns.
Will the semester be extended?
We intend to make every effort to finish students on the traditional semester timeframe. We understand that students may be experiencing extenuating circumstances that preclude them from successfully completing on time. We are also aware that some labs and clinicals may need to extend beyond the original semester end date. Please know that faculty will be flexible and understanding as they work with students who require additional time to successfully complete their courses.
Is the IT Help Desk still available?
Are there counseling resources available to students in need?
Yes. NTC students have access to counseling services through a partnership with Peaceful Solutions Counseling. All services are provided by Master’s-level licensed mental health therapists at their agency (741 N 1st Ave, Wausau, WI 54403) or virtually. To schedule an appointment, call 715.803.1797.
What is the plan for commencement?
We have made the difficult decision to postpone the Spring Graduation Ceremony scheduled for May 16th. We are exploring alternatives and will communicate any updates.
The lack of an in-person commencement ceremony in May does NOT mean our seniors are not graduating. Students who have met the degree requirements to graduate will still receive their awards, recognitions and diplomas.
What if I don’t have internet/Wi-Fi capability?
We are proud to announce that we have extended our Wi-Fi capabilities to the parking lots of all NTC campuses, so everyone is able to access the internet and complete their work safely from the comfort of their vehicles.
Additional resources include:
- FCC agreement stating that providers will waive late fees, not cutoff service for lack of payment, and open hot-spots.
- Comcast COVID-19 response: offers free WiFi for 2 months to low income families plus all Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time
- Charter Free Internet offer for 2 months
- AT&T COVID-19 response: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families
- Verizon COVID-19 response: no special offers, but following the FCC agreement.
- Sprint COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, provides unlimited data to existing customers, and, starting Tuesday, 3/17/2020, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge (I expect others will follow).
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response: follows FCC agreement, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge (I expect others will follow).
Where can I get help with advising?
Our Advising Staff have transitioned to a virtual environment and we are committed to maintaining the high quality service and support that you know and expect. To schedule a virtual appointment with your advisor, log into Starfish with your NTC ID and password or call 715.803.1797.
Can I still enroll in summer and fall classes?
Yes! Registration opens on Monday, April 6th. We are working diligently to offer additional summer courses with an emphasis on online and Virtual College offerings. If you need assistance registering, please contact your advisor. To schedule a virtual appointment with your advisor, log into Starfish with your NTC ID and password or call 715.803.1797.
Are there print services available to students?
DigiCOPY offers Northcentral Technical College students a 10% discount for any printed project. Print requests can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and picked up at the DigiCOPY Wausau location (1800 Stewart Avenue #400, Wausau, WI 54401) via curbside delivery. For more information, visit DigiCOPY.
Faculty are making every effort to limit the need for students to print as we transition to a virtual environment with online learning. If you have specific concerns, you are encouraged to work with your faculty member.
How can I access my transcripts?
Electronic transcript requests are still available online.
Prospective Student Questions
- Can I still apply to NTC?
- Are open houses and on-campus tours canceled?
- Will there be any sort of online/virtual replacement for open houses and tours?
Can I still apply to NTC?
Yes! We are currently accepting applications and all application fees are waived now through June 30, 2020. For more information on applying, contact our Admissions office.
Are open houses and on-campus tours canceled?
All on campus events are cancelled and all physical campus locations are currently closed. We are saddened that we cannot welcome admitted and prospective students in the usual manner due to COVID-19 restrictions. Our Career Coach team would welcome the opportunity to connect with you virtually.
Will there be any sort of online/virtual replacement for open houses and tours?
We are currently working on virtual versions of our VIP Registration event and Spring Open House/Commit to College. Please watch for more information coming soon. You are also encouraged to visit our virtual tour.
Event, Meeting + Conference Questions
Will my event be going on as scheduled?
All on campus events scheduled through April 26th have been cancelled.
With consideration for the health and safety of our students, staff, and the community, we have decided to also cancel the following student recognition events:
- Phi Theta Kapa Induction Ceremony, scheduled for April 7
- Spring Scholars and Donors Reception, scheduled for April 30
- Student Recognition Banquet, scheduled for May 7
- Spring Commencement, scheduled for May 16