Grants | Northcentral Technical College
  • Home
  • Financial Aid
  • Grants


Grants are money that, under normal circumstances, does not need to be repaid. The following grants are awarded at Northcentral Technical College:
Federal Grants
  • Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of one credit with high financial need based on the student's expected family contribution (EFC). The actual awards vary based on the number of enrolled credits.

    The Pell Chart shows how much in Pell grant a student can receive based on their Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and enrollment status.
***Update for 2017-2018:  Year-Round Pell Grant***
An amendment to the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) allows an eligible student to receive up to 150% of the student's Federal Pell Grant Scheduled Award for an award year beginning with the 2017-2018 award year. NTC is a "header" school, which means that the aid year always begins with summer and ends with spring (i.e. Summer 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018). The additional funds are only available if a student is enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits) in the payment period for which the student receives Pell Grant funds in excess of 100% of the student's Pell Grant Scheduled Award (spring). NTC will award additional Pell Grant funds in the spring semester as appropriate, pending additional guidance from the Department of Education. Initial Pell Grant awards will not assume the use of excess Pell in the spring. Spring amounts will be increased accordingly prior to disbursement based on actual enrollment.
**Dropping courses may decrease eligibility resulting in a required repayment of Pell Grant funds.  Adding courses may increase eligibility. Check with your academic advisor or the Financial Aid Office if you add or drop credits to be sure you understand how a change in credits will affect your Pell Grant and other aid.
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG The SEOG grant is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need--students with the lowest Expected Family Contributions (EFC) - and gives priority to students who receive Federal Pell Grants.  Funding for the SEOG grant is limited and is awarded to early applicants. The maximum SEOG is $500 per academic year.  To be eligible for SEOG you must be enrolled at least half-time.
Wisconsin State Grants
  • Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG) is available to students who are Wisconsin residents and enrolled at least half-time. The grant is based on financial need.
  • Native American Grants (WIA, BIA) are available through the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board and the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The grant amount is based on need. In addition to completing a FAFSA, students must also complete a separate Indian Scholarship Application which is obtained from their tribal education office for the purpose of certifying the student's degree of Indian blood.
  • Minority Retention Grant Program (MINR) is available to minority students who are Wisconsin residents in the second year of a two-year program, maintain a 2.0 grade point average, and meet the financial need criteria. Minority status is determined by the data on our system and awarded after the school year has started.
  • Talent Incentive Program (TIP) is designed for first-time students who are economically and/or academically disadvantaged. Students who feel they may qualify for this additional funding may contact:
Sharon Hunter
133 River Drive
Wausau, WI 54403
Phone: 715/842-0872
  • Hearing & Visually Handicapped Student Grant is available to Wisconsin residents who are hearing impaired or visually handicapped and who also demonstrate financial need. Applications are available online at
  • Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship recipients are chosen by their high schools as academic scholars. Students must be enrolled full time in associate degree programs and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.


  • Financial Aid