Many employers today require that you have at least a high school diploma or the equivalent. Adult Basic Education at NTC offers you a self-paced, friendly environment to earn the General Education Development (GED) or High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED).

The GED test is a computer-based exam that measures skills expected of high school graduates in the areas of Reasoning through Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and Civics. An HSED includes those same five exams, along with an additional Health requirement.


To earn a GED or HSED in Wisconsin, you must:

  • Be at least 18.5 years old
  • Be a Wisconsin resident or have lived in the state for at least 10 days, or be a migrant worker or the child of a migrant worker
  • Not be currently enrolled in high school or have a high school diploma

GED/HSED Orientation

Your first step is to contact NTC’s College Prep Center and register for a GED/HSED orientation. During the orientation, you will take a Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), meet with an Academic Transition Specialist to develop a personal education plan and undergo a Career Pathways assessment to determine the type of career field might be a good fit for you.

Next Steps

After completing your orientation session, we will discuss your enrollment options to determine if it might be better for you to pursue a GED or HSED. We’ll also talk about the possibility of being co-enrolled in a post-secondary program while you work toward gaining your high school credential.

Finally, we’ll review funding sources that can help  with the cost of obtaining your GED/HSED, as well as your post-secondary credential (if you choose to continue your education).

Completing the Enrollment Process

During these final steps, we’ll discuss the type of course load may be right for you. If you’re only looking to obtain your GED/HSED, we can enroll you immediately so you can get started.

If you’re exploring the possibility of co-enrolling in a post-secondary program as well, we’ll talk about the process of applying for financial aid, and once that is complete, our Academic Transitions Specialist can help you get enrolled in both your GED/HSED and post-secondary program. 

More Information

Contact the College Prep Center at 715.803.1152 or for more information or to schedule an orientation session.