Frequently Asked Questions

Which programs are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony?

  • All associate degree plans
  • All technical diplomas
  • All certificates

How do I know if I meet all my graduation requirements?

Review your Degree Progress Report in MyNTC. If you have questions, see your academic advisor or email

Please remember: A degree audit will be reviewed by Student Records to determine successful completion of graduation requirements. This review is done after commencement ceremonies have taken place. Participation in the commencement ceremony does not ensure graduation requirements have been satisfied. It is at your discretion to decide which ceremony is the most appropriate for you to attend.

Does applying for graduation through MyNTC also register me for participation in the commencement ceremony?

Yes, the form that displays allows you to indicate whether you plan on participating in the graduation ceremony. It also captures which local newspapers should receive your graduation information.

Completion of this form is necessary for you to receive your diploma. It initiates a degree audit to be processed and reviewed by Student Records to verify all program requirements have been met. It is not mandatory to attend the commencement ceremony; however, to receive your diploma, you must apply for graduation.

Do I qualify for a gold cord?

If you have a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher as of the end of the previous term, you will be given a gold cord for the graduation ceremony. Gold cords are provided to graduates who are participating in the ceremony and will be distributed when you pick up your graduation cap/gown.

I have completed all necessary requirement for my certificate. Do I need to apply for graduation?

Yes, all degree/certificate seeking students need to apply for graduation.

I am graduating from a program that is shared with another technical college; Do I need to apply for graduation through Northcentral Technical College?

If you are in a shared program with another college, you should apply for graduation at NTC. NTC is the degree issuing institution.

Are there deadlines to apply for graduation?

To be eligible to attend the graduation ceremony, your application must be made at least 30 days prior to the graduation date. Please contact Student Records for more information if you have missed this deadline and are in the final courses necessary for program completion.

Do I need to purchase a cap, gown and diploma cover?

All graduation fees are included in the cost of tuition paid for courses. When you apply for graduation, if you indicate you plan on attending the graduation ceremony, fields to enter cap/gown information will be displayed. Student Life will contact you regarding dates/ times when graduation regalia can be picked up.

How do I get my diploma cover if I didn’t participate in the ceremony?

Please stop by the Student Leadership Center or Student Records after you have received your diploma in the mail. You will need to present your diploma for validation.

Do I need to reserve seats for my family/Friends to attend the commencement ceremony?

Each friend/family member attending – regardless of age – must have a ticket. At the time you pick up your cap and gown from Student Life, you will receive your initial allotment of guest tickets. The number of tickets varies based on the graduation location and number of graduates. Typically students receive three to four initial tickets.

After the cap/gown pick up deadline, any remaining tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis daily in one to two ticket increments per day until all tickets are given out.

The ceremony is often available at via live stream on the morning of graduation and after the ceremony as video on demand.

If your guests require special accommodations due to a disability, please arrive early and let the graduation ushers know once you arrive.

Will there be a professional photographer at the ceremony?

Yes, NTC has contracted with a professional photographer to take pictures of our graduates as they receive their diplomas. Approximately 4 to 6 weeks after graduation, proofs of the picture will be sent to graduates via e-mail. There is no obligation to purchase this picture. More information can be found at or by calling 800.747.2941.

I am completing my graduation requirements during the summer term. Which ceremony should I participate in?

Summer graduates should participate in the May commencement ceremony. A review of your degree audit will be done after your summer term ends and grades have been submitted.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are issued after final grades have been posted and reviewed by Student Records. Please allow 6-8 weeks for this process to be completed before calling to check on the diploma. Please verify the address shown in MyNTC is current to avoid any delay in receiving your diploma. Diplomas will not be issued if there is a financial hold on your NTC account.

How will my name be shown on my diploma?

Diplomas are issued with your name printed as it is shown in MyNTC. Prior to graduation please verify your name is shown correctly in our system. If changes are necessary contact Student Records.

Can I receive a duplicate diploma?

Northcentral Technical College issues only one diploma for each degree awarded. A replacement diploma may be requested if the original diploma has been lost, damaged, destroyed, or if it is required for employment or educational purposes.

To request a reprint of your NTC diploma, please complete the Diploma Reprint Request form.

The replacement diploma will bear the original date of program completion but will have the signatures of the current administration. Requests for a replacement diploma may take up to two weeks to be processed. There is a fee of $10.00 per diploma.

Can I graduate from a certificate program in addition to an associate or diploma program?

You will be eligible to graduate from a certificate program if you have contacted the Admissions Office to enroll in the program prior to completion of the final certificate course. The graduation application form submitted should indicate any desired certificates in addition to the Associate/Diploma programs requested.

Can I graduate from a certificate that has been implemented since I finished my program?

A student must be enrolled in a course (required within the certificate) in the semester they apply to graduate from the certificate.