This workshop provides an in-depth review of softwood lumber grading, specifically for Eastern White Pine. In a mix of classroom and hands-on activities, participants will gain valuable skills and experience in grading lumber. See detailed agenda for more information and takeaways.
This workshop is presented in partnership with the Northeastern Lumber Manufacturers Association (NELMA) and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Thursday, February 21 & Friday, February 22, 2019
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: NTC Wood Technology Center of Excellence, Antigo, WI
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS
NELMA Director of Inspection Services
Matt has worked with NELMA since 2007 and became the Director of Inspection Services in 2013. Matt currently manages the NELMA inspection staff of 10 inspectors operating in 20 states of the Northeast and Midwest. Matt has 22 years of experience in the lumber industry and holds a vast knowledge of the structural framing lumber, structural timbers, and appearance board grades.
Murdock (Doc) McLeod
Doc has worked with NELMA since 1996. Doc provides inspection services to 11 lumber mills and 18 wood packaging facilities in the Great Lakes region. Doc has 35+ years of experience in the lumber industry and holds a vast knowledge of the structural framing lumber, structural timbers, and appearance board grades.
Thursday, February 21 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Introduction: Slide Show
- A brief overview of NELMA and NELMA’s role in the lumber industry
- Overview of “Above Board” and “The NELMA Grader Academy”
- What is in the grade rule book and how it is used
- Overview of The NELMA Grade Rules
- Identification of all characteristics of Eastern White Pine
- Getting familiar with the grade relationships
Hands-on: Grade Rule Application
- Determining the grade face
- Measuring knots and other characteristics
- Learning how each characteristic is limited and how to quantify it
- Understanding the knot quantity tolerances for selects and the common grade of Premium and where Finish grade fits
Friday, February 22 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Grading Select Boards
- Calculating surface feet for knot quantity allowances
- Understanding the “5% Cut for Defect” rule
- Making the grade decision: Practical application of the grade rules and putting all the new knowledge to work
- Review and Q & A