Crop Science (Agronomy) 62 Credit Associate Degree
The Crop Science Associate Degree program focuses on the principles and practices of crop production and field management. Production management centers on the science of strategically managing land, water, plants, labor and other inputs, such as seeds, nutrients, pesticides and machinery to produce food and fiber in a sustainable and profitable manner. Practical hands-on learning opportunities are infused with theory throughout the program.
Studies include the four major categories of crop management: soil and crop management, pest management, nutrient management and water management. Learners will actively manage cropland acres and complete an internship work experience. Jobs in this area are generally physical and require the strength to lift and carry 50 pounds. Learners interested in this career should have a valid driver’s license to operate equipment, above average computer skills and possess good oral, reading and writing skills. In addition, professionals in this area tend to spend a great deal of their time working outdoors.
Found in These Career Fields:
Courses for this program may be available at a variety of campus locations through multiple modes of delivery if you meet the admission requirements and prerequisites.
* Campus and online availability of courses and programs may be subject to change.
Graduates will be able to…
- Integrate technology with cropping techniques
- Apply agriculture commodities and concepts
- Explore government regulations
- Safely operate and set up agronomy equipment
- Record information about crops, such as pesticide use, yields or costs
- Prepare harvested crops for storage
- Prepare field, plant and harvest crops
- Identify plants, pests and weeds to determine the selection and application of pesticides and fertilizers
- Determine and apply crop protection products
Some of the potential careers graduates can pursue are:
- Agronomy Advisor
- Field Crew Member
- Field Supervisor
- Buyer-Crop Protectants
- Crop Insurance Professional
- Custom Applicator
- Crop Research Assistant
- Crop Scout
- Sales Representative
- Seasonal Pesticide Applicator Specialist
- Seasonal Elevator Worker
- Harvest Worker
- Irrigation Worker
- Farm Laborer
- Cranberry Marsh Worker
The Crop Science (Agronomy) Associate Degree is a 62 Credit program. The following is a typical semester breakdown of the courses within the program.
* College 101 (10-890-165) is not part of the program credit requirements but is a College Requirement for graduation that must be passed with a “C” or better.
Credit for Prior Learning AvailableView All Detailed Course Information
Pathways are a series of connected programs that enable you to advance over time to better jobs and higher levels of education and training. By earning one degree, you could also be completing several courses of a related program in a pathway, bringing you one step closer to an advanced degree.
If you begin with one of the following programs, you will earn significant credit towards this Crop Science (Agronomy) Associate Degree:
- The Agronomy Certificate will provide you with 8% (5 of 62 credits) of the total credits in this Crop Science (Agronomy) Associate Degree
- The Crop Scout Technical Diploma will provide you with 42% (26 of 62 credits) of the total credits in this Crop Science (Agronomy) Associate Degree
All associate degrees transfer to a variety of programs at other partner colleges to give you the opportunity to continue your education in other areas of study.View all transfer guides
Our application process takes just a few minutes to complete, but we want to make sure you have the things you’ll need on hand to complete the application. We’re here to help if you have any questions while submitting your application.
Before you apply, you should know
The majority of the courses in this program take place at NTC’s Agriculture Center of Excellence, located at 6625 County Road K, Wausau, WI.
Fill out our application
The application can be submitted online and takes just a few minutes to complete. There is no fee to apply.Apply Now
We’ll review your application and let you know if we need anything else. If you’re all set, your acceptance letter will be mailed to you.