This associate degree program prepares individuals for a career as a Dental Hygienist. The Dental Hygienist is a member of the dental team and helps individuals maintain oral health and prevent oral diseases. Under the supervision of a dentist, the hygienist inspects the mouth, removes stains and deposits from teeth, applies preventative agents, prepares clinical and diagnostic tests, completes dental x-rays and performs many other services related to oral care. Dental Hygienists counsel patients about preventive measures such as nutrition, oral hygiene and dental care. After graduating from an accredited program, Dental Hygienist graduates are required to successfully complete comprehensive written and clinical examinations given under the direction of the State Dentistry Examining Board, the American Dental Associations Joint Commission. Potential occupations include: Dental Sales Representative, Dental Treatment Coordinator and Dental Hygienist. Please note: General Anatomy & Physiology (10-806-177) must be passed with a grade of "C" or better prior to submitting a petition to enroll in this program.
program at a Glance
- Wausau Fully Available
- Antigo Partially Available
- Medford Partially Available
- Phillips Partially Available
- Spencer Partially Available
- Wittenberg Partially Available
Approximate Cost$14,873 (Tuition: $11098, Books: $3775)
Average Starting Salary$51,983 Annually, based on the 2014 NTC Graduate Employment Report.
Chat with Us
Do you have a question about program offerings or getting started at NTC? Our staff can guide you in the right direction!
Unsure which offering is best for you?
Apply as an undecided student. You can begin taking classes while working one-on-one with an advisor to help you determine your best fit.
Northcentral Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College’s nondiscrimination policies: Equal Opportunity Officer, Northcentral Technical College, 1000 W. Campus Drive, Wausau, WI 54401. Phone: 715.803.1057
- Model dental hygiene professional code of ethics
- Counsel clients/patients to reduce health risks
- Provide community oral health services in a variety of settings
- Manage infection and hazard control
- Assess data on all aspects of patient/client health using methods consistent with dental hygienist scope of practice and legal principles
- Formulate a comprehensive dental hygiene care plan in collaboration with the client and other health professionals
- Provide preventative and therapeutic services that promote oral health according to the needs of the patient/client
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the implemented client/patient dental hygiene care plan
- Dental Sales Representative
- Dental Treatment Coordinator
- Dental Hygienist
To view the amount of credits or descriptions for the courses required within this program please view the course list.Course List
Take a Virtual Tour
Get an idea of what it’s like to be a student in the Dental Hygienist program, and explore the NTC facilities.
Additional program Information
No Wait Lists
This program uses a competitive petition process for admission instead of a wait list. Once you meet eligibility requirements, you can petition to start program-specific courses.
Current CPR certification is required upon admission to this program. Accepted certifications include Professional Rescuer or Healthcare Provider.
Criminal Background Check
This program requires a criminal background check. Acceptance to Northcentral Technical College will not be denied based on a criminal background, however, a check may be required for placement at clinical sites or field experiences.
Credits earned at NTC may transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Visit www.ntc.edu/transfer for a complete listing of transfer opportunities for this program.
Submit your online application today at www.ntc.edu/apply
For more information on this program, contact admissions at 715.675.3331 or email email@example.com.
If you’re ready to get started, just fill out our online application. If not, request more information and we will be happy to answer any questions you have.