What is Credit for Prior Learning?
Credit for Prior Learning allows you to earn credit for the skills and knowledge that you already have through a variety of test-out options that NTC offers. Whether your prior learning occurred on the job, in your personal life or through military experience, you have the opportunity to put your knowledge to the test.
What are the different ways that I can earn credit?
- Military Service
- National Exams
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- College-level Examination Program (CLEP)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Transfer Credit
- Test-out Options
How much credit can I get with my work experience?
It is possible to earn up to 75% of the credit needed to complete an associate degree, technical diploma, or certificate. However, a minimum of 25% of program degree credits must be directly earned through graded coursework at NTC for graduation. Each program may have test out options, by class, where you can demonstrate the skills you have developed while working in the field.
What are the test-out options?
- Submit a Portfolio: A collection and explanation of your past learning through work or life experience.
- Skill Demonstration: A performance of your expertise that is evaluated by faculty.
- Test: An exam that is taken in NTC’s Testing Center or virtually through Canvas.
- Combination of Test & Skill Demonstration: A combination of both a test and skill demonstration.
What are the basic steps to completing a test out option?
- Connect with Kaya Saia, Student Records and CPL Specialist, email@example.com or 715.803.1796
- Review information provided on the test-out option: what type of test-out is available, the time and resources allowed, what competencies you will be tested on, etc.
- Pay the nonrefundable assessment fee
- Schedule a time to test
- Complete/submit the test-out
- Receive results after evaluation is complete
Can I test out of a course if I have attempted it previously?
No, if you have previously attempted the course, you are no longer eligible to test-out.
What if I am currently enrolled in the course?
If you are currently enrolled in the course, you must complete the test-out option before 10% of the course has passed. For a course that runs the full semester, you typically have the first two weeks of the course to pursue the test out option.
How much do the test-out options cost?
- Test: $50.00
- Skills Demonstration: $90.00
- Combination Test & Skills Demonstration: $90.00
- Portfolio: $90.00 (10-890-165 College 101 Portfolio: free of charge)
- Due to the generosity of the NTC Foundation, the cost of these test-out options is covered through a scholarship for all military veterans.
- The CPL assessment fee is non-refundable, regardless of result.
How long will it take to receive my results?
You will typically receive your results within 10 business days.
What score do I need to pass?
You will need to earn an 80% or higher to pass a test-out option.
Can I retest?
No, you are only allowed one attempt. If you do not pass with a score of 80% or higher, you will need to enroll in the course.
Can I transfer the credit I get by testing out to another college?
Credit for prior learning may not transfer outside of NTC.
Have a question not listed above?
For additional details, contact Kaya Saia: